On The Road
Hi all, and welcome to the farm.
I’m just back from 4 days on the road with THINK FLOYD, and although it was a relatively short run this time (703 miles) I thought it might be useful to say how I manage to keep on the ball during a gruelling tour.
Five things I always make sure I do:
- Avoid fried breakfasts. They slow you down. Four fry-ups on a four day run? Not good!
- Drink plenty of water, it helps you avoid snacking in the van between venues.
- Keep yourself occupied. When you finish setting up and sound-checking it can become very boring in backstage rooms. Don’t sit around… take a book, learn a new instrument – I’ve taken up learning the Ukelele, it’s perfect for tiny backstage rooms!
- Take your sticks backstage. Chairs, soft furnishings, pillows, they’re all great for keeping your rudiments up to scratch! Soft furnishings in particular are perfect for beat placement and note separation.
- Bananas. Eat plenty of Bananas. They give you loads of energy – I take one before going on stage, and another in the interval. Oh – yes – ALWAYS take water on the Drum Riser with you as well.